You are here

Meeting of Creditors

Debtor's Attendance Required

The Bankruptcy Code requires that a meeting of creditors be held at the beginning of every bankruptcy case. The meeting of creditors is sometimes referred to as the "341 meeting" because it is held pursuant to section 341 of the Code. The case trustee conducts the meeting in a chapter 7 or chapter 13 case. In a chapter 11 case, a representative of the United States Trustee generally will preside over the meeting. Each debtor in a joint case must attend and be questioned under oath about assets and liabilities. Creditors are invited, but not required, to attend and may ask questions following the examination by the trustee.


Until further notice, meetings of creditors are being held by Zoom video. Click here for Zoom Meeting IDs, Passcodes, and dedicated phone numbers for each trustee.

Meeting Date and Time

Bankruptcy Rule 2003 prescribes the time frame during which the 341 meeting is scheduled. In coordination with the Office of the U.S. Trustee, the court gives notice of the meeting's specific date and time. However, any request to change the date or time of the meeting must be directed to the Office of the United States Trustee ((808) 522-8150) or the trustee assigned to the case. Generally, rescheduling is not permitted. Note: If a meeting is rescheduled, or held and continued to another date, be advised that many of the deadlines in a bankruptcy case - such as the time to file a proof of claim or an objection to discharge - generally run from the original date set for the first meeting of creditors.

Documents Required Before the Meeting

Debtors must mail the following documents to the trustee's office at least 7 days before the meeting of creditors:

  • A government issued photo identification and evidence of Social Security number. Common forms of identification include a driver’s license, state identification card, military ID, legal resident alien card, or passport. Evidence of one’s Social Security number includes a Social Security card, current employer’s health card, current wage statement, original Form W−2, Form 1099, or IRS-issued transcript of a return (but not a copy of your tax return).
  • Any other information requested in advance by the trustee.

For more information, go to